25 Mar 2014

Baking Habits


I'll be real quick and won't go into too much detail.

Once I feel I have mastered the recipes and tweaked them to my liking I will post my baking efforts one recipe at a time.


The very first thing I tried to make this year was shortbreads, I was surprised by how easy this was and definitely enjoyed fondling the dough. They turned out softer than I wanted them to be which I guess Is a good thing since most people struggle to make them soft.


Next were some simple plain vanilla cupcakes. In the past I have found butter icing sickly but when I made It I must have gone a little overboard with the sugar because it tasted great. Unfortunately the cake part wasn't as great as I had used Wholemeal flour which may have overpowered the sweetness and vanilla flavour. If it wasn't for the icing then no one would have eaten the cupcakes.

 

I had so much icing left over I practised my icing skills with a syringe I forgot to take a picture of.


Next up were some banana muffins. Again I used wholemeal flour but the taste of the bananas covered up the wholemeal taste. I included cinnamon and nutmeg in these muffins which left a peculiar taste in my mouth. To be honest I think these muffins probably would have been better off without the cinnamon or the nutmeg.



Cookies were my next baking task, and not just any type of cookies. I wanted them to be soft like the ones from Millie's cookies and they were actually softer, and dare I say tasted sweeter. You can just about see the chocolate chip poking through. I struggled with the dough slightly as it was very sticky but when handled in small amounts the dough didn't stick to my fingers.


What you see here is a banana loaf. This wasn't my first attempt at making banana cake as I had made it countelss times before I was even 10 years old but being part Jamaican my Mom never measured the ingredients and so nether did I. This lead to me getting the consistency wrong every time I made it without Mum's help. However thanks to the internet I now have a recipe that I can rely on to make the perfect banana cake every time.


To the left is a tempting looking cake that would have chocolate lovers wet with excitement. To the right Is my gallant but disappointing attempt. The picture on the left I found on pintrest so it didn't really have an associated recipe. I managed to find one that I thought would give me similar results. I have to say It did taste nice, the only things missing were two more layers of cake and the luxurious gold dust that cake on the left seems to have.


My last and most recent attempt was an "easy" chocolate cake. The recipe said easy but it was bloody difficult to get right. The first time I tried to make this slightly fudgey chocolate cake I got the icing right but the cake was undercooked. It was so undercooked that when I took off a piece of the cake and rolled it in my hands it was basically like dough.

The last step in the recipe involved adding 250ml of water. I thought this was strange because the mix looked perfect before I got to this step. When I added the water everything started separating after I'd stopped mixing. When in the oven the mix rose quickly but soon deflated and after the recommended cooking time of 35 mins my skewer didn't come out clean. It was dripping with the cake mix. I put foil on top to stop the already cooked tops from burning and checked on the cakes every 7 mins but after over an hour neither were cooked. 


The second time I attempted to make this cake I got the cake part perfect because I skipped the 250ml of water. However I messed up the icing by using extra thick double cream instead of normal double cream. I could have fixed this by myself but after some bad advice from my intervening sister my icing looked like diarrhoea. At least I know how to get it perfect for next time.


Well that's all of my baking adventures so far.

The only recipes that have turned out absolutely perfect are the banana loaf and the chocolate chip cookies

I may post these recipes at some point but what with uni, exams, dissertations and all It won't be any time soon.

Hope you enjoyed reading :)

xxxxxxxxxxxx