15 Apr 2014

Dissertations Ruin Lives; With a Slice of Lemon Cake

It feels like such a long time since I've posted something on here. A lot has happened since my last post about my baking habits but due to a 2,000 word assignment, a 5 minute video presentation, a dissertation and not to mention the associated poster, I have been rather busy.

I should have put my thanks to the several caffeinated energy drinks I consumed in the acknowledgements of my dissertation. A few all-nighters and several hours of staring at my computer before the deadlines I managed to do it all. However It's not over yet, I have exams in a month but I think I deserve a few days to recover and get my sh*t back together.

So without further a due here is what I have been doing for the past few weeks (besides crying over uni deadlines)........

 
So Mother's day went by on 30th March and I made My Mom a lemon drizzle Cake. To me this cake turned out perfect and I was surprised by how lemony it was. My Mom however likes to have hers absolutely dripping with lemon and took it a step further by dipping her cake in lemon juice. This to me seemed gross but since it was Mothers day and it was her cake I left her to it. The Icing was the best part and I had good fun drizzling it over. It was so sweet and addictive I had several slices.


The only thing I would do differently would be to put the foil under the cooling rack to collect the excess icing and re-pour it cover the cake. This would have been much more efficient than trying to coax the excess icing back up the side of the cake or collecting it in a spoon off the foil that I place directly underneath the cake.


It's practically Easter now and for an Easter egg competition at work I painted a plastic egg and gave it an under the sea theme. I had a vision in my head and wasn't quite sure how to go about creating it. I started using some kids pastel paints but because of the smooth surface then watery paint would slide off and it was difficult cover the whole thing. I then had a grand idea that involved using spray glue to cover the egg and layer more paint on top the intensify the colour but this didn't work either and ended up in a big sticky gloopy mess. I gave up and almost threw it away but after several minutes of sulking I got out an old water colour set my aunty gave me over 10 years ago. The paints were still liquid but I didn't dilute them, I painted them straight onto the egg and they stuck on pretty good.


I did an ombre effect with dark blue on the bottom, light blue in the middle, and a barely noticeable teal green/blue on the top. I applied the paint with a sponge and because of the gloopy mess underneath the egg had this over all textured look which I think added to the underwater effect. I also added some gold plastic gems to the top and bottom. I had a gazillion more gems that I bought specifically for this egg in The Little Mermaid's colours (teal, blue and purple) but I wanted to keep it elegant and only added the gold.


I wanted to make a crown on top to make it look like a royal egg but I didn't have enough gold gems to cover the diameter I needed so I ended up with a flower which still looks rather nice


To finish I did silhouettes of Ariel from The Little Mermaid and a seahorse. I wanted to do an intricate design of the seahorse showing it's scales and everything but I decided that a simple silhouette would look more elegant. Unfortunately I managed to mix the yellow paint with the blue paint when painting on the seahorse but it turned out looking okay. I like to think it adds another dimension to the seahorse but I did manage to avoid this when painting Ariel. 

I originally started to paint these silhouettes with gold glitter paint but it was too clear so I used one of my yellow water colours straight from the tube. Again because of the thickness of the paint the silhouettes have this textured look which to me looks like the ripples and waves of the sea. The only I thing I would do differently would be to paint gold glitter on top of the yellow silhouettes, just to add a bit more bling, but for now the plain yellow ones look much more elegant.

The egg looks much better in person and it is definitely a reflection of my life-long (**obsession**cough,cough) admiration  for the little mermaid and all things under the sea.



I have been using a new night cream from beautynaturals.com. It was £9, again very pricey, But what I like about it most is that it's very moisturising, absorbs quickly, and it doesn't make my face look too greasy, so I even wear it during the day when I'm at home.


It's thick and creamy so I'm guessing it must penetrate deep into the skin to absorb so quickly. I haven't noticed any drastic differences and I'm still breaking out which is probably due to post-dissertation-trauma. In any case it's a great moisturiser that may or may not be reducing the fine lines developing on my forehead.


In my room there is a small drawer full of three deep conditioners that are doing nothing but collecting dust. But that's not the issue, the problem is that I have bought three more conditioners to add to my stash. Luckily these Garnier Ultimate Blends conditioners are very thin and slippery, very much like herbal essences, so I will use them up quickly. They were £2 each and I've only tried the pink one in the middle so far. However the ingredients and consistency are similar so I'm assuming they all work the same. Something to note however is that the red bottle on the right contains argan oil and also smells the nicest so I think that will be my favourite one.


They're more moisturising than herbal essences but I think that herbal essences is slightly better for de-tangling. I don't co-wash much any more as I simply de-tangle with a spray bottle full of diluted conditioner before I go into the bathroom and when I'm done washing I do the LOC method with the same spray as my leave-in, then oil, and then the Garnier conditioner on top. 

Over all these conditioners smell very nice, are CG friendly, and are fantastic for, co-washing, de-tangling, and as leave-ins. When finished my hair looks just as good as it usually does so these products definitely work well.


I have recently made a change in my hair oil of choice and switched to Walnut oil. It was in the supermarket and was relatively cheap so I thought why not?? It is pretty much the same as olive oil in terms of consistency and seals moisture in my hair just as well. The only difference is that the colour is lighter and that the oil itself smells like burned walnuts (surprise, surprise). However when I apply my final coat of conditioner on top of the oil the scent of the conditioner either masks the walnut smell or they blend together to make an even nicer scent. Though after a day my hair pretty much has no scent at all. I have read that walnut oil has many benefits for hair even when applied topically so I will definitely continue to use it.

Well that's everything from the past few weeks purged in one go :D

Hope you enjoyed reading!!

xxxxxx